Mental illnesses are ILLNESSES and need to be treated like one.
Some people need to be educated and it needs to be made more aware of.
Because it is a 'mental' illness people just think it is in their head
and they can control it or just stop it, BUT that is not the case and it
is NOT that easy. Infact mental illnesses are harder to deal with as
they can't just 'heal' like most other illnesses or be treated with a course of antibiotics.
People shrug off mental disorders or even cut people off, when they
need them the most, they act differently towards people with mental
health issues, this is why so many people keep it a secret and struggle
on, the fear of others changing or rejecting them. This is also the
reason why so many people with mental health issues feel alone, as
people are unaware that others suffer.
There are lots of
different mental health disorders, most of which are with people most of
their life and generally people suffer with symptoms of more than one
disorder. Few examples are: Depression, Bipolar, Obsessive Compulsive
Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Eating Disorders, Schizophrenia,
Tourettes, Asperger's Disorder etc.
People with the same disorders can't always use the same method with controlling it, every person's symptoms and disorders are different.
health issues have no 'cure' but they have ways of dealing with it
better and coping with it - Medication, Therapy and Lifestyle Change
(lots of different options for all of these)
UK MENTAL HEALTH FACTS:
- 1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental health problem in the course of a year
- Mixed anxiety and depression is the most common mental disorder in Britain
- Women are more likely to have been treated for a mental health problem than men
- About 10% of children have a mental health problem at any one time
- Depression affects 1 in 5 older people
- Suicides rates show that British men are three times as likely to die by suicide than British women
- Self-harm statistics for the UK show one of the highest rates in Europe: 400 per 100,000 population
- Only 1 in 10 prisoners has no mental disorder
Please feel free to share and spread the word about Mental illness, and
if you have a mental illness or know someone that does, don't fear it,
embrace it, learn from it and be patient.
Crafting is my passion, my cure, my coping mechanism.~ Dannii